Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Sacrosanct, Sagacious, Salubrious and Satiating Solo/Ensemble Escapade

Arthur Pryor
That right above this text is a famous trombone player named Arthur Pryor. I personally don't know why I chose this picture, but if you look up trombone solos and go down exactly 73 rows you will find this picture.

To continue down this unnecessary tangent...

Random 19th Century South Carolinian Trombone Player/ Model
Alright, so if you look up revolutionary war trombone player and go down eight rows you will find this spunky carolinian civil war trombone model. From this picture you can tell that she has a great personality with a lot to bring to a conversation about pop culture.

If you haven't questioned the nature of this blog yet then, congratulations! You are used to the pointless, tangential and disfigured statements that truly embody what my blog is about.

Now onto the thing that was actually in this blogpost's title.

Alright, my perfect audience. I went to Layton for the Utah State Solo/Ensemble. I took the bus with the percussion ensemble at about 10:30 AM. I was the only non-percussion soloist on the bus that morning and my solo was scheduled for 3:05. So,  you can imagine that I had a lot of time on my hands. Now, this was Layton High School not Time Square or Las Vegas. There weren't places things to do or people to see for at least 3 hours. We weren't allowed to leave the campus, so all my exploration were kept to the confines of the Layton Knight's inner sanctum. Rationally, I walked around until I saw some orchestra kids like Benny O and Charlie L. Charlie Had to leave, so I was hanging out with Benny(if you know benny, you know this was going to be an "interesting" time. After an hour of Benny filled exploration and copious cheerio throws later, Benny realized that all the orchestra kids had left the building, so he grabbed all his stuff and ran out of the building at a dead sprint. So being "responsible" me, with an hour to go I found where my solo was, texted my piano accompanist to arrange where we should rehearse, suggested that the 15 minute time limit on the warm-up room was just a "rule", that no one enforces that and got my stuff. When I got to the practice that my accompanist setup in I found a overly nervous freshman with a white dress shirt and tie telling me that we had 8 minutes left. After I got my trombone out, warmed up, realized that the room made my sound overly bright  and was told we had 5 minutes left. Thereafter a rather, um, stout woman popped open the door and whispered a question to the preppy freshman (I surmised that she was asking about the time left). She looked at me with a supercilious look on her face along with a glint of intolerance and elitism in her eyes. What I got from that expression was, "Look at that tuxedoed up child trying to rehearse before his solo. If you had to rehearse right before you solo, you weren't ready to begin with. Idiot".  I'm sorry guys, but I can't quit capture it and put into words what this quite obese woman showed on her face. But, loathed her so much that it was as if Kim Jong Un came into that warm-up room and intimated that we were not good at planning out rehearsals. Enough of my ranting. We left the warm-up room, shared another warm-up room the cats pajamas and trombone guy Jake A. just to spite that woman and the rules. After that I went over to the seminary where lots of solos were taking place for my scheduled solo. From there I waited 37 minutes after my appointed solo time, because they were apparently running behind schedule and met wondrous Mr. Hughes outside the bus while feeling bad for keeping the bus off schedule. I got a 1- compared to the 1 I got at region which I guess I'm pretty proud of considering the lack of effort I put into my solo after region. Also I have to say that the judging is scaled up. For example the comments could be"work on getting these notes at measure 73-75 and make sure that you have dynamic range" or something where they are more conservative with what they tack off on your solo. At State They say "These notes weren't tuned and your tone quality was not not consistent".They really start tacking off things and that's why it's important to make your good solo even better or you could get a point or more lower at state compared to region.

Thanks to everyone who reads this so and now filled blogpost.

To leave you guys with a good feeling in the most centralized point in your vascular system is this metaphorical masterpiece. If you understand high school bands this is rodent gold.

l.o.l. rodent metaphors


No comments:

Post a Comment